Search This Blog

Thursday 14 June 2012

'F**k it - the Ultimate Spiritual Way'...thoughts so far

I was given this book last week as a birthday present, but more, I think, as a nod to the hard time I am going through in my life right now.


What's most interesting, on a personal level, is that as I read, I realise that much of this is akin to my own personal philosophy / mantras / irreverent humour regarding religion.  It's just that I had forgotten much of it along the way, the last few years being the bitches they have been...so it's like returning to stuff and going, yeah, I know, I know...


I agree with much of the book.  Some things I do counter though.  Or find ironic.  My main thoughts:


p29: the section explaining how everyone comes to a crisis point in their lives, a crash, before they see the 'clear path'.  Well, fair enough.  And that leads some people on to write a spiritual / guidance tome.  Great.  So technically, having crashed myself back in 2009, am I qualified to write a book?
Actually, I probably am.  Probably was when I was 17, but didn't know it.  Still, perspective helps, in many things.


The diet section is not very convincing; I'm not into diets anyway, but there is much use of the words 'I bet if...' in this section.  Meaning J Parkin probably doesn't either.  Some of it makes sense, but it perhaps skates over some of the issues here.


Pages 84-85.  The concept of Jesus getting stoned, and the four gospels being prudes who re-write the tales and make the reduction to "Love one another as you love yourself' is hilariously good.  And the point about how it should be that you must love yourself first and then you can love everyone else, because otherwise you miss a vital point - that if you hate yourself you can't love others as yourself - is profoundly deep and ridiculously simple.


Pages 48-49, all the stuff about energy - I have a scientific mind at times and I get this.  It makes sense.  Energy.  Transformation.  All good stuff.


What also entertained me was that before I read any of the book, I did the thing where you let it naturally drop at a page and see what it brings up.  What it landed on was pretty relevant for how my brain is working at the moment.  Then when I properly read the book, it actually suggests doing this anyway, as the bit you get will 'be what you most need'.  Spooky?  The cynical, suspicious side of me thinks the friend who bought me the book, having read it themselves, 'doctored' the book to mess with my head... well, it's an amusing idea.  


More thoughts may follow when I've finished the book... 

No comments:

Post a Comment